Wednesday 25 April 2012

sketchbook project: doing and learning


This scan of some recent pages from my sketchbook shows how rumpled and love-worn my sketchbook is becoming as I reach the end of my project (4 pages to go and 4 available evenings to do it).

If I'm doing a drawing it takes a lot to pull me away from my colour pencils. Not that I know quite what I'm doing with them, but I'm used to them. Paint is a different story: it scares me! But I knew I had to paint this owl. I can see all the flaws, but I'm so glad I did it anyway: it's the only way to learn.

So many pages of this book have involved facing fears and experimenting, trying things I think I cannot do. I find this quotation from Picasso comforting. It reminds me that it is through doing that we learn. I recently came across a great video about this on the Little Luck Tree blog.

If you're a creative type, watch this, and if you're a fledgling creative like me, definitely watch it!

Ira Glass on Storytelling from David Shiyang Liu on Vimeo.

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...