Thursday 15 March 2012

fabric cards

It's Mothering Sunday in the UK this coming Sunday 18th March, so I decided to make a card for my mum. Anyone who reads this blog regularly will have gathered that (a) we're really close and (b) she's an amazing and creative woman!
Since she was the one who taught me - quite recently - how to sew, I decided to incorporate sewing into my card. I was inspired recently by this fabric card DIY I saw on A Beautiful Mess. Although I love the simplicity of Elsie's design, I couldn't resist adding my own personal touches (I can never stick to recipes either!)
This is the card I made for my mum: with a turquoise accented zig-zag stitch, a piece of 1940s French taffeta blue polkadot ribbon and a gold sequin (which also almost counts as vintage as it comes from a stash I must have bought about 15 years ago!)
Of course it helps if a lovely friend happens to give you a perfect matryoshka stamp - that pretty symbol of all things motherly.
I have a little stock of plain cream coloured cards and coloured envelopes and I choose the fabric according to the colour of the envelope and work from there.
I was having so much fun I decided to make another card - yes, I was on a card-making roll! This one will be a thank-you card as it is my birthday tomorrow and I already have a sweet little to stack of things on top of the piano, waiting to be opened. Lucky me!
I made this with my Dad in mind, as he remembered my birthday this year and has been very thoughtful - he has got a lot better at such things in recent years! I know that he and his wife love the colour orange, so I started with that.
I added a piece of vintage embroidery with orange accents, as well as a mother-of-pearl star-shaped button sewn on with orange thread. 
Mum's card will be posted today, the other one is going into my card box to wait until after my birthday!

Linking up, as I often like to do, with Polkadot Pretties:
Photobucket

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...